The intention of the SLCSE Bike Shop two fold. First, Access to a safe and reliable class set of bikes opens a wide variety of learning experiences. Teachers can plan and manage riding field trips for either educational or experiential learning; there are many educational opportunities near SLCSE including parks, educational outreach, and data collection.
Second, SLCSE offers Bike Shop as a scheduled elective. Bike Shop students learn bicycle repair and maintenance, shop and tool safety, and riding skills. Bicycle repair and maintenance is taught "hands on" in a shop setting where students learn skills through bicycle repair. Group rides happen weekly with a focus on riding confidence and road safety.
The attached list is a filter for the overarching purpose of the bike shop.
- A a safe and reliable class set of bikes.
- Open access to tools, instruction and parts to aid in personal bike projects.
- Hands on learning learning through bicycle repair.
- Confidence with riding and road safety.
- Access to bicycles as a form of social and emotional learning.